Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mitt Romney says ‘I told ya so’ after ACA ruled constitutional


Supporters stand behind change in tone


MASSACHUSETTS — Presidential candidate Mitt Romney reacted to the Supreme Court’s June 28 ruling upholding the Affordable Care Act with a resounding “I told ya so” during a stump speech soon after the court’s opinion was announced.

“When we put a similar plan into place while I was Governor in Massachusetts, some doubted it could work,” Romney said. “Now it’s official. My healthcare law is constitutional, and will remain the law of the land for Americans everywhere.”

The GOP candidate did not lose focus when he was reminded that President Barack Obama was the one who signed the law in 2010, and continued to take credit for the law.

“Every American can have access to affordable health insurance thanks to my plan, and for that I will not apologize,” he said. “I applaud the Supreme Court for siding with the people and ignoring those calling for a repeal.”

It was a stark difference from a few days ago, when Romney swore he would repeal the law, known to many as “Obamacare,” if here elected in November. While many members of the media were confused by Romney’s change in tone, supporters at his campaign rally took his new stance on the issue in stride.

“One thing I’ve learned about Mitt is, you got to let him be himself,” said Jerry Peters, one of many white men older than 45 at the rally. “Whoever the hell that is, I don’t know, but at least he’s white!”

Peters then started a “Repeal Obamacare” chant.

No comments:

Post a Comment